Clos Maggiore & Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Covent Garden - London. Part 2

Thursday 21 November 2013





Source

After a gorgeous meal at Clos Maggiore, we then quickly marched round the corner to Drury Lane to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Musical.

I was a bit sceptical about this, as I had watched both the 1971 and 2005 films of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Now the Tim Burton rendition completely wowed me over the original, though I'm putting that down to having Johnny Depp in it.. mmm Johnny Depp. Right, anyway, slightly of the track there..
The west end musical was written by David Grieg, while the music and lyrics were written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. It premiered in London on 25 June 2013, and since then have sold 300,000 tickets.
With an amazing cast, and many fans from around the world, no wonder its sold so many.

Source

We quickly found our seats, and apart from the seat kicking children behind me, they where good seats :)
I won't ruin it for you, as I know you want to buy your tickets yourself... :)
The musical follows the true story behind the original but the only song I recognised in the musical was Pure Imagination, and even then it was a brief encounter. They've modernised the story by bringing it into the 21st Century by talking about the latest gadgets and gizmo's.
Even the Oompa Loompa's have had a make over, and my god I love it! The 'rave' was something out of this world!
The theatre design is amazing, and they use the space very wisely, especially for the glass elevator. They even made parts of the stage edible..amazing!

Source

As much as I want to give this musical a raving review, I have to say that when the children sang, the music was far to loud to understand what was being sung. Which really annoyed me, and was the only downside.
Apart from that, the production was really good, and to this very day I am entirely baffled as to how Willy Wonka disappeared at the end of the musical!!

I'm very glad to of seen this production as I love musicals, and this is really something you should take the time to see next time your in London! Well done Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cast and crew!!
You can find tickets over here!

Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment